The NIHR CRN NWC, NHS R&D NW, ECR Development Pathway Programme is a big title and a major undertaking for a busy health and social care professional to take on, but the benefits speak for themselves. Building on our past success, the course aspired to:
- Understand the drivers, policy context and value of research in the NHS and across the NWC Region.
- Ensure the development of the knowledge, intellectual abilities and methodologies to do and lead research.
- Understand how to engage and influence others to ensure the wider impact of research.
- Comprehend the factors/dimensions that create and enable leadership in research.
- Develop personal qualities and approach to be an effective researcher.
- Gain knowledge of the standards, requirements and professionalism to do research.
- Identify and fulfil personal development needs/learning outcomes.
- Create a personal network that will progress and promote the research leadership journey.
- Engage with current Principal and Chief Investigators in the NWC region and understand their role and its impact.
- Develop reflective practice skills.
- Fulfil aspirational goals and an initial 3-year career plan to achieve leadership potential.
The core of the course was delivered over ten days. It embraced a blended learning approach with homework, assignments, mentoring, and practical placements that ensured all relevant content was covered during the 12-month period.
The programme was led by our team here at NHS R&D North West, whose faculty of associates includes leadership coaches, organisational development experts, facilitators, and a range of visiting speakers who covered specialist topics over a number of themed sessions.